The Interaction Design Foundation seeks a Senior Front-end Developer
to join our development team. We are the world’s most prestigious
community and course platform for UX designers and need a person who
will help us to develop our educational platform by taking ownership
- 5+ years of experience working professionally with web development.
- You write semantic and accessible HTML5.
- You know the latest CSS features and how to use them to build
reusable, independent components.
- You have strong, framework-agnostic knowledge and experience in
- You love to learn and push your skills to new levels.
- You know Git basics, and you’re familiar with GitHub and/or Bitbucket.
- You have an understanding of basic programming patterns and
principles as well as a strong sense of good engineering and
- You want to help build a rock-solid and perfectly architected and
documented front-end codebase.
- You are truly ambitious, result-oriented, friendly, and you like to
- You are self-motivated and love to see tangible results.
- You speak and write acceptable English – not perfect English, just
acceptable – since you will be working with people from Turkey,
England, Denmark, Russia and Brazil, among others.
Bonus Skill Set
- You are an open source contributor.
- Experience with React and/or Vue JS frameworks.
- Experience with creating
- Experience with Gulp, Webpack and module loaders (ES6/AMD/CommonJS).
- Experience with backend programming languages/technologies (PHP,
Python, Java, .Net, JS (Node.js)).
- Experience with working remotely.
Why you’ll want to join us:
- You get to work in an international team of seniors where we truly
and deeply care about great architecture, great code, great
documentation, great tests, etc. You will work with us, learn from us
and teach us.
We love our product and thus there are no boundaries for perfection of
our codebase: we have zero tolerance for spaghetti code and technical
debt, we have
regular code review sessions, regular refactoring sprints and we use
the best tools to do it.
- We use modern CSS stack: BEM-based
as our CSS methodology for modular, reusable, component-based code and
a CSS pre-processor.
modules, module bundling.
- We support modern evergreen browsers only and … IE11 (we use a
graceful degradation technique for it). So you can use the latest JS
and CSS features.
- You will have uninterrupted concentration time every day to build
pure front-end awesomeness and thus accelerate your learning curve. If
you were to work at Facebook or Google, you would be constantly
and only have 2 hours of uninterrupted “flow time” per day. That
creates a slow learning
Working with us, you get a full 7 hours per day. Imagine what that
will do to your mental muscles, to your learning and to your career.
- You will help shape the future of design education which millions of
people can benefit from.
- You will have the ability to work from anywhere — as long as your
internet connection allows you to have video-based contact with your
colleagues every day.
- You get to meet up with the rest of the team several times a year at
interesting destinations like a scenic Thai island, Dubai, Denmark, or
the like. See the video about our company
culture for more.
- We have a focus on evergreen programming techniques and best
practices, as opposed to the latest hyped framework. -
- We’d rather hand-craft things ourselves than build our platform on a
gazillion 3rd party libraries. Just ask Facebook: they know it
- Our CEO is a programmer and you will therefore not have to worry
about “management speak” in order to get your point across. Just let
your awesome code “speak for itself” and you will earn respect
What you will be doing:
- You will take ownership and leadership of an ever-growing front-end
codebase where elegance and simplicity must be maintained and
furthered – and where the evil forces
bloat, and spaghetti
must be fought back by your intellect and coding skills.
- Creating new components (CSS + JS), refactor existing ones, improve
our style guide, build new pages using existing components.
- Building upon our current front end style guide and coding guides,
which let our back end developers use front end components with ease.
You will build a “design system” that is extremely detailed yet also
easy to navigate and use…. much like https://polaris.shopify.com/.
- Helping us to build an online course that will teach millions of
designers how to become front-end developers. This will hugely improve
your skills and ability to communicate - and will prove to be an
- Creating animations that are not only beautiful, but meaningful and
are features that add to the UX of our users.
- Marking our application faster and lighter.
About our company
The Interaction Design Foundation is the world’s most prestigious
community and course platform for user experience designers. We are a
nonprofit organization with a mission to reduce the cost of design
education around the world, and we do so by providing high-quality
online UX design courses at an affordable membership fee. With tens of
thousands of members learning from our courses, and hundreds of
thousands reading our free educational materials, we’re one of the
largest UX design communities around the world.
We’ve spent the last 15 years building our community, and the last
year rebuilding our course platform—based on a brilliant technology
stack. And now we want you to help us build pure awesomeness in
versions 7, 8, 9, etc.! If you’re a senior front-end developer with
sublime programming skills acquired from 5+ years of experience, we’d
like to work with you.
This is a paid full-time position. You’ll be location independent and
will therefore be free to work from wherever you want in the world.
You will have daily video-based contact with your colleagues and will
get to meet them physically on team trips (see below).
About our work culture
Please also see our page explaining our work culture in more detail
before you apply: https://www.interaction-design.org/careers
Our Zen Code
Want to join our team? Here is how!
Please send an email to Rikke Friis Dam at
email@example.com where you:
- Tell us why you want to put your heart, mind and hard work into this job.
- Tell us the 3 productivity tips/methods that work best for you.
- Make sure your application reflects your perfectionism.
Apply as soon as you can – we’re firm believers of “the sooner, the
better”. We’re looking forward to working with you!