Johns Hopkins University
The Writer will research and draft communications materials including remarks, talking points, letters, quotes, and other messages that convey the vision and ideas of the University President in a range of settings. The Writer will work as part of a team, reporting to the Director of Speechwriting and the Deputy Chief of Staff, and must have strong research and writing skills, an appreciation for a good story, a talent for producing high-quality written work in a fast-paced environment, and an ability to receive and interpret feedback from multiple sources. Must also be self-motivated, flexible, and collaborative.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the job:
- Research and draft communication materials for multiple audiences across the full range of written and spoken communications, including draft remarks, talking points, letters, quotes, columns, and other materials.
- Communicate information of a highly complex nature in a clear, precise, and compelling way.
- Support efforts to ensure the President is fully prepared for and briefed on meetings, events, and other interactions with speaking components, including review of related materials and logistics.
- Review and ensure that all remarks, letters, and communications materials prepared for the President, including those drafted by other offices, are accurate, appropriate, and carefully proofed.
- Conduct research for written and spoken communications.
- Monitor and analyze developments and major issues in higher education, public policy, popular culture and on campus to ensure they are appropriately addressed and articulated in communications.
- Develop and sustain contacts with colleagues in offices of university leadership, faculty, staff, and other constituents to fuel and inform communications materials.
- Apply discretion and diplomacy while working with sensitive information to advance the priorities of the Office of the President.
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree and at least 3-5 years related experience.
Special skills and knowledge:
- Consistently excellent oral and written communications skills
- Excellent research, analytical and storytelling skills
- Knowledge of grammar usage and editorial style guidelines
- Ability to synthesize and analyze information quickly
- Ability to maintain the utmost discretion and diplomacy and to interact effectively with high-level individuals
- Ability to work quickly, while balancing competing priorities and tackling multiple assignments
- Ability to be flexible, self-motivated and collaborative in order to deliver high quality work product in multiple communications mediums.
For full application instructions and position description, visit http://apptrkr.com/1154050
NOTE: Please include three writing samples with resume and cover letter.
Classified Title: Writer
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Status: Full Time
School: University Administration
Location: Homewood Campus
Location City: Baltimore, MD
Resume Required for Application: Yes
Area of Interest: Administrative
Contact: Human Resource Services 443-997-5100