Cornershop Creative (https://cornershopcreative.com) is seeking an awesome, U.S.-based WordPress developer to join our distributed team.
The core responsibility for this position will be building and styling WordPress-based websites and applications for our non-profit and small business clients. This position will be responsible for things like setting up WordPress custom post types, fields and taxonomies; coding HTML, CSS (SASS), and JS for custom themes; and styling & configuring pre-built WordPress themes for our clients. Additionally, this position may be responsible for developing and maintaining custom plugins.
Our ideal candidate is a hard-working, curious self-starter comfortable working independently with little supervision, but also able to work as part of a team that includes developers and non-developers. Since we’re a distributed shop, you’ll get to work from home! Cool, right?
In a nutshell, we need someone who can take static designs (i.e. PSDs) combined with written functional requirements/specifications and turn them into top-notch WordPress websites. That means the things we’re looking for include:
- Strong knowledge of HTML5 markup and CSS3
- Significant experience with WordPress theming: template hierarchy, hooks, WP_Query, and so on
- Ability to write CSS for cross-browser, responsive design (not just by using Bootstrap)
- Familiarity with current (and evolving) best practices in front-end dev regarding semantics, performance, cross-browser consistency, etc.
- Ability to laugh at our stupid jokes (and the occasional good one)
- Experience with CSS preprocessors & libraries (particularly sass)
- Familiarity with command line tools like git, gulp and wp-cli
- Won’t lose your s#!% if you occasionally get feedback like “can we make the logo bigger?” or “change the padding by 1px,” which may happen despite our best efforts
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment (we keep pretty busy!)
- Ability to “put yourself in someone else’s shoes” by thinking about the client’s and client’s users’ needs
- Ability to review designs and anticipate questions, problems and issues with responsive/interactive elements that may not have been fully considered
- Superb written & oral communication skills
Other stuff we’d love it if you’re good at, but aren’t requirements:
- Photoshop and designing for the web
- Working knowledge of nonprofit CRM tools such as Salsa, Luminate Online, Engaging Networks, Blue State Digital, and Classy
- Making obtuse geek-culture references
- Remembering to un-mute yourself before talking on conference calls
- Being passionate about progressive causes
- Writing bash scripts and performing other devops/Linux sysadmin kinds of stuff
Cornershop Creative is an award-winning online services agency committed to listening carefully to our non-profit and small business clients and helping them achieve their goals. Our designs are beautiful, and our websites are creative and innovative. Learn more about us at https://cornershopcreative.com/.
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your résumé
- A brief cover letter explaining why you’re excited about this opportunity
- Links to work you’ve done that we should see, such as recent websites, git repos, or contributed plugins/modules/themes
- Ideal salary range
U.S. Applicants only!
Please be sure to include all of these items — to save everyone valuable time we’ll throw out incomplete applications. Thanks for understanding.
Cornershop is an equal opportunity employer.