Web Solutions Architect
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located in beautiful Golden, Colorado, is a leader in the U.S. Department of Energy’s effort to secure an energy future for the nation that is environmentally and economically sustainable.
Web Solutions Architect
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is a leader in the U.S. Department of Energy’s effort to secure an energy future that is both environmentally and economically sustainable. With locations in Golden, Boulder and Washington D.C., NREL is the primary laboratory for research, development and deployment of renewable energy technologies in the United States. The NREL mission is to develop renewable energy and energy efficient technologies and practices, advance related science and engineering, and transfer knowledge and innovation to address the nation’s energy and environmental goals.
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory’s (NREL) Communications & Public Affairs Office is seeking a bright, tech-savvy individual with excellent communication skills to act as a Web Solutions Architect. This position will work with clients to understand their business needs, educate them regarding Web best practices, and distill these into workable technical approaches for the development of websites and Web applications. If you can explain cutting edge web technologies to your grandmother and you would like to work for the primary laboratory for research, development and deployment of renewable energy technologies in the United States, this position could be for you.
The Web Solutions Architect position requires Web technical knowledge and skills from both front end and back end development. The person needs to possess the ability to identify key issues and their impact in a technical Web context. The position needs an ability to share and communicate ideas clearly, both orally and in writing to executive staff, clients/customers, and technical resources in clear concise language that is the parlance of each group.
This position will work with other team members to:
– Facilitate meetings with clients in order to understand and refine business and user needs into technical requirements.
– Research, analyze and propose technical solutions to problems
– Identify potential risk areas during discovery phases of projects and work to resolve
– Manage multiple client and project engagements simultaneously while staying on top of tasks and deliverables
– Work independently and use Web technical knowledge and best practices to consult with and guide internal and external customers to the best technical and user-centered solutions based on their needs and budget
This position will also serve as a Web Technical Strategist and will:
– Proactively explore new and emerging Web and development technologies based on office business needs and requirements, synthesize recommendations, and facilitate adoption.
– Propose and manage implementation of standard platforms
– Champion standard platforms
– Propose custom solutions as appropriate
– Collaborate with the IT organization and with other development shops across the laboratory.
Required Education and Experience
Relevant Bachelor’s Degree and 9 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Or, relevant Master’s Degree and 7 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Or, relevant PhD and 4 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Applies extensive IS expertise in specific field and has full knowledge of related disciplines. Evaluates new hardware, software, systems tools and applications and makes procurement recommendations.
Excellent leadership and project management skills. Skilled in analytical techniques, practices and problem solving. Extensive programming and architecture abilities with various computer software programs and information systems.
Additional Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Experience consulting with non-technical users
– Experience with multiple Web/application platforms/languages (e.g. Ruby, Drupal, ColdFusion)
– Experience with content management systems and strategies
– Solid understanding of Web best practices
– Experience in user experience best practices and techniques
– Excellent project management and customer service skills
– Excellent communication skills, with an ability to translate technical concepts to non-technical staff and customers
– Ability to work well in a team setting
- Experience with the Drupal open source content management system
– Knowledge of CSS pre-processors such as Sass and Less
NREL validates right to work using E-Verify. NREL will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. For additional information, please see www.nrel.gov/employment/eeo.html.
EEO Policy / E-Verify
NREL’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, age, color, sex, religion, national origin, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
NREL validates right to work using E-Verify. NREL will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. For additional information, please click here http://www.nrel.gov/employment/eeo.html.
Pre-employment drug testing required.
Submit Your Resume
Please apply online at: www.nrel.gov/employmentand search for Req #3779
Please include a cover letter specific to each position you are applying to indicating how you match the requirements of the posting.