Web & Interaction Designer II
Date: August 8, 2014
Job Title: Web & Interaction Designer II
Reports to: Art Director
Effective: September 2014
Exemption Status: Exempt
Location: Madison, WI
Compensation: $47,000 – $67,000 depending on experience
Nature and Scope
Filament Games is seeking an experienced Web & Interaction Designer to help us launch a product line of learning games. Filament believes in making educational web experiences that shine. This means we are looking for someone who:
• Enjoys designing beautiful interfaces based on principles of graphic design and usability
• Looks for ways to enhance the user experience in the form of elegant design solutions and novel user interactions
• Is comfortable taking the time to iterate upon and polish designs, animations, and other assets
• Is comfortable working closely with a multi-disciplinary team
Include a cover letter, addressed to Connor Hayes, a resume, and a visual portfolio (preferably web-based) showcasing your very best work.
Authority, Responsibility, & Relationships
• Manage art pipelines and delegate tasks to the illustration team
• Provide estimates to the production team
• Work with the illustration team to set and enforce style decisions on projects
• Work with the game design team to create wireframes and mockups
• Work with engineering team to create game-ready assets and UI infrastructure
• Estimate time to complete tasks
• Review, critique, and integrate illustration assets
• Revise work according to critique, changing requirements, and user and stakeholder feedback
• Limited travel to observe in-classroom playtests
• Meet with project stakeholders
• Reports to: Art Director
• Direct Reports: None currently
• Coordinates activity with: Design, Art, Engineering, Web, and Production
Measures of Success
• Create engaging, clear user experiences that bring reason to the subject matter
• Develop innovative solutions for common usability issues
• Efficiently and effectively coordinate available art resources
• Generate comprehensive asset lists
• Implementations match the fidelity and intent of the original design
• Complete features and assets in a timely manner
• Stay current with latest relevant technologies
• Communicate effectively with team members and production
• 2 years relevant professional experience OR completed degree
• 3+ years using visual design tools such as Photoshop and Illustrator
• Experience designing sleek, usable interfaces and/or graphic layouts
• Proficient in CSS & HTML
• Strong animation skills (good sense of motion and timing)
• Proficiently optimizes art assets
• Able to work in the A-Z game development process-from concept through design, development, and delivery
• Strong aesthetic sense: layout, color, and typography
• Strong visual literacy
• Ability to design in a variety of styles
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Passion for visual design
• Imaginative and innovative
• Driven to create exceptional art assets
• Comfortable sharing, inspiring, brainstorming, and communicating ideas and concepts
• Open to design input from other team members
• Experience using Adobe Flash
• Drawing or illustration
• SASS, LESS, or similar CSS processing language
• Familiarity with classic and current games
• Familiarity with Agile development methodology
About Filament Games
Filament Games is a game production studio that exclusively creates learning games. Our core competency is combining best practices in commercial game development with key concepts from the learning sciences. Accordingly, our senior staff is comprised of individuals who are equal parts game and
instructional designers. Our “dual literacy” and high standards have earned numerous awards over the past several years.
Benefits: Filament Games is an awesome place to work. Why?
• Our team is a creative, interdisciplinary group of people who are making a difference. Through innovative educational games we’re working to modernize education and revolutionize learning!
• We believe that the best work – and the best life – comes from a health balance between work and play, discipline, and fun. Our office culture reflects this. For example, we have flexible work hours, LAN nights, grill outs, sketch nights, Show-n-Tells, ropes course outings, and the occasional Nerf battle.
• Our stylish, fun and relaxed office is conveniently located on the near-east side of Madison, a lively city with a world-class university, vibrant tech industry and beautiful state capitol. The near-east side is a vibrant, mixed-use neighborhood near Lake Monona that offers affordable housing, eclectic restaurants, music venues and retail stores- all within walking distance of our office. Even better, we’re only two miles from the heart of downtown and the university.
• Filament offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision care, short & long term disability, a Flexible Spending Account, 401k retirement plan, subsidized metro travel, discounted gym membership, discounted parking, supplemental coverage through Aflac, generous paid time off and extended holidays.
To Apply: To apply, please visit our website at http://www.filamentgames.com/about and scroll down to the current openings section. Click the job title that you are interested in and after reading the job description; click the “APPLY NOW” button on the side of the webpage.
When submitting your application please be sure to include your cover letter, addressed to Connor Hayes, and resume. At the bottom of your cover letter include the contact information for three professional references.
Finally, upload a link(s) to your online portfolio.
Please note: Specific information or materials are requested for some job postings. Be sure to include the requested information, or your application will not be reviewed.
Applicants will be considered for positions on the basis of qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying without regard to race, religion, creed, sex, age, residency, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical appearance. Minorities are encouraged to apply.