Web Front-end Developer (WFED65)
Company/Agency: Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning
Job Category: Assistant
Experience Required: 0 – 3 years
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning is seeking to hire a Web Front-End Developer. CMAP is the official regional planning organization for the northeastern Illinois counties of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, and Will. CMAP developed and now guides the implementation of metropolitan Chicago’s first comprehensive regional plan in more than 100 years, GO TO 2040, which was adopted unanimously by leaders from across the seven counties in fall 2010. To address anticipated population growth of more than 2 million new residents, GO TO 2040 is an innovative, policy-based plan that establishes coordinated strategies that help the region’s 284 communities address transportation, housing, economic development, open space, the environment, and other quality-of-life issues. See www.cmap.illinois.gov for more information.
Individual will work with Communications Director to enhance the CMAP website to better communicate agency priorities through development of the agency’s web front end. This position includes designing, developing, testing and maintaining web applications within a Microsoft platform. The CMAP website (www.cmap.illinois.gov) is based on a commercially supported, open-source portal-based CMS. The agency contracts with web development and hosting consultants and the CMAP web front-end developer will help guide those consultants’ efforts while also leading development projects that are independent of the consultants. The qualified candidate must be a self-starter who enjoys working with technology to achieve web communication objectives and be visually oriented, creative, and highly attuned to the user’s experience.
- Develop easy-to-maintain web tools and templates that enhance the agency’s website.
- Program and implement web content that is faithful to design mockups.
- Interface with web hosting and development consultants under contract to CMAP.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Attention to detail and taking responsibility for fine tuning and quality checking, is required. The successful candidate will have the following skills and abilities:
- a creative mindset and good eye for design issues (graphics, typography, and spacing), as well as high standards of quality assurance.
- experience with CSS preprocessors (SASS, Less, Stylus).
- web/application server administration experience (Apache, Tomcat, etc.).
- experience with Apache Velocity
- working knowledge of web analytics and SEO best practices
- familiarity with version control, browser testing, and responsive design
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other appropriate IT discipline and prior work experience in web front-end development is required.
- Experience working within a Microsoft Windows environment and developing for Linux based web applications required.
- Candidates must be at ease working in the context of a complex web application, while not necessarily understanding all of its intricacies.
- Candidate should have experience working collaboratively with graphic designers and be familiar with PhotoShop and/or comparable image processing software (e.g., Gimp, Fireworks).
- Experience with Firebug (and/or equivalents) for troubleshooting and quality assurance; building repeatable Visual Test Scripts; creating email templates and testing; backbone or Angular; Java; Liferay and Design and Branding are desirable skills but not required.
Resume and/or cover letter should include links to recent web projects, briefly indicating the type and extent of involvement.
Office Automation Skills: MS Word, Access, Excel, Power Point.