The Web Developer is primarily responsible for planning and developing websites and database driven applications.The Web Developer will collaborate with exhibitand creative media team members, as well as other museum staff, to create appropriate educational technology that meets museum goals and objectives while also supporting internal websites and systems as needed.
1. Design, develop, and maintain world-class websites for new exhibits and online initiatives at the direction of the Manger of Creative Media and in conjunction with internal teams (such as Information and Interactive Technologies (IIT), exhibition development, family learning, operations and marketing, etc.).
2. Develop, document and test websites and interactive games.
a. Develop functionality for interactivegallery components that will enable tracking of metrics to gauge visitor satisfaction, completion rates and effectiveness of interactive media as it relates to the mission of the gallery.
b. Work with exhibit and education staff to ensure all exhibit and web creative media reflect sound instructional design principles and meet family learning and instructional goals.
c. Work collaboratively with other museum departments, vendors and consultants to develop, produce and implement creative media for museum exhibits, programs and websites.
d. Under the direction of the Manager of Creative Media, develop prototypes and participate in usability testing.
e. Integrate Flash components with databases using PHP.
3. Develop, maintain, and support new and existing web applications.
4. In collaboration with the Data, Applications and IIT Administrator, create, manage and maintain web databases.
5. Research and develop mobile applications and emerging technologies.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field. Minimum of three years of experience in web and/or media development.
2. Must have strong technical skills with proven expertise in web and exhibit media development technologies.
3. Must have fluency in HTML, CSS, XML and PHP.
4. Must have experience developing custom websites in Drupal.
5. Experience with SharePoint and ASP.NET preferred.
6. Knowledge of HTML5 and developing for mobile platforms a plus.
7. Familiarity with Flash, ActionScript, Photoshop, Illustrator, animation and/or video editing technologies a plus.
8. Must have the ability to display patience when dealing with staff members with varying degrees of technical ability.
9. Must have excellent problem solving, logic, analysis, and collaboration skills.
10. Requires appreciation and respect for confidentiality of information.
How to apply
To apply, please submit an online application at www.ChildrensMuseum.org.