Web Developer / Coder
About NCI and the person we are looking for:
NCI is the largest national publisher of local printed and online magazines for the real estate market, representing more than 500 markets in the U.S. and Canada. Our websites reach in excess of 2.5 million consumers monthly in the areas of homes, apartments, home improvement and various blogs.
We are looking to create a new “web development” team of (3) and bring some of the development of NCI websites in house. Our primary platforms are Drupal and WordPress, but we are more interested in developers / coders who can locate and apply solutions regardless of the language, platform, or framework.
We’re not looking for a jack of all trades; we’re looking for a jack of a few specific trades who’s willing to engage themselves in seeking solutions and learning new stuff as a requirement of their position.
Since we’re a fairly small shop, this developer is going to have to be flexible and competent in the three major facets of a web application: database (SQL), logic (PHP), and presentation (XHTML/CSS). They don’t need to be an expert at all three, or even two, or even one. We’re looking for a reasonable level of proficiency in all three, not overwhelming expertise.
• An online portfolio of your best work and examples of your most recent coding is essential
• Detailed knowledge of database-driven content management systems
• Minimum 2 years of direct hands-on front-end software development experience. Prefer 5 years experience building web applications.
• Experience with server-side technologies such as PHP and ASP and have a strong understanding of SQL programming with the ability to architect, program and optimize back-end infrastructure.
• You have thorough understanding of HTTP, RESTful architectures, and XML Web Services
• Extremely comfortable with Cross-browser compatibility/testing with the ability to build a highly interactive site that works flawlessly in all the major browsers
• Computer Science or related degree from an accredited university or a minimum of 3 years professional programming experience.
• Experience creating new Drupal modules (or significantly altering existing ones) and/or experience developing in WordPress preferred
• Website optimization: caching, load balancing, page load times and Apache configs
• Experience with development of mobile apps, Facebook apps, Android apps a plus