Position Code: SUA2921A
Closing Date: 10/22/2010
Salary: $38,604 – $50,000
Background check may be required
The University of California, Merced is the newest and tenth campus of the University of California system and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With more than 4,300 students, UC Merced has planned for additional student growth until we reach an enrollment of approximately 25,000 students. With undergraduate, graduate, and PhD programs, plans for a future medical school program, partnerships and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving, requiring talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
The UC Merced Office of Communications has an immediate opening for a Web Designer whose primary responsibilities include 1) designing new front-end templates and website graphics based on UC Merced’s branding standards, 2) implementing designs for custom applications and Drupal, and 3) working with site managers (i.e. “clients”) for the university’s 200+ sub-domains to ensure these sites are updated with the university’s new site templates, adhere to the university’s branding standards and editorial style, and are regularly updated with accurate content that is compelling and engaging. The incumbent must demonstrate a broad and thorough understanding of web design and branding, possess strong aesthetic and creative sensibilities, and have well developed diplomacy skills and experience in building and maintaining client relationships.
Qualifications: Preference will be given to candidates with experience with website design portfolios, experience with Drupal, and to those with work experience in universities.
- Experience with both PC (Windows XP) and Mac (Snow Leopard).
- Two+ years experience in all aspects of web design with a passion integrating accessibility, performance, elegance, usability and cross-browser compatibility into all aspects of design.
- Experience creating fully 508 compliant web sites.
- A demonstrated ability to produce aesthetically-pleasing, engaging and usable website designs.
- Experience in creating designs that are easily translated by developers into Drupal themes.
- Experience in managing websites in Drupal, including installing modules, theming, creating content types and customizing views.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and written communication/technical documentation skills.
- Proficiency at using Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Professional applications, specifically Illustrator, PhotoShop, Acrobat, Dreamweaver and Fireworks.
- Proficiency in and hands-on experience with development using XHTML 1.1, HTML4/5 and CSS2/3.
- A strong knowledge of current web design and accepted standards.
- Knowledge of development tools such as Firebug and web development toolbar.