Be part of something innovative and cutting edge. Join our team of more than a hundred software engineers, designers, project managers and software specialists that are smart, creative and excited by what they do.
Some of our ground-breaking work in education and online testing includes:
• advanced computer-adaptive algorithms (only one that’s peer-approved in the country) to deliver unique tests that can pinpoint a student’s aptitude more accurately
• mobile support for the user interfaces through responsive design
• learning management systems with social media features
• user interfaces that are universally accessible and usable by people with or without disabilities
• innovative, machine-scorable test items
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm with a growing software engineering and product development team. We design and build things that are inspiring and make a real impact in the online testing industry. We are currently seeking a Web Designer to join our team in the Washington, DC office.
The Web Designer will be a part of the Interaction Design Team, assisting with lead designers on large high-profile online assessment systems. We’re looking for a strong generalist web designer with experience in Web Development (HTML, CSS, Ajax, JQuery, PHP for WordPress), and Design (UI/UX, Adobe Creative Cloud, accessibility). We like to think of the proper candidate as a front-end mechanic rather than a designer. You will be responsible for designing, coding and maintaining large systems that are built to support multiple browsers and mobile devices.
We are looking for a highly creative and passionate designer with proven ability to inspire and organize a design team to deliver top-notch experiences. He/she will have a proven track record in user-centered design methodology and techniques. A candidate with strong communication and collaboration skills and experience working with all levels of management in obtaining consensus on project requirements and deliverables is a must.
• Develops, creates and integrates the website layout/user interface from provided design concepts
• Troubleshoot UI issues in dynamic, web-based applications on a variety of browsers and operating systems and mobile devices
• Designs, modifies, develops, writes and implements software programming applications and components.
• Provide feedback to PMs and engineers on UI/UX best practice.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, Computer Science or related degree and 3-5 years of experience.
• Strong working knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3.
• Experienced in developing, designing, and modernizing front-end website design.
• Experienced in coding JQuery and using Bootstrap widgets for interactive HTML mockup.
• Knowledge in coding PHP and WordPress preferred.
• Use of best practices to create clean, cross-platform code that is semantically correct and Section 508 compliant.
• High attention to detail and excellent time management.
• Excellent analytical or critical thinking skills.
• Quick aptitude for learning new software.
• Experience with Visual Studio
• Experience with Versioning Systems.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER AND PORTFOLIO (The portfolio must be viewable online and have sample HTML and CSS. In collaborative work, please be specific about your role.)
AIR offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including a fully funded retirement plan, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, and tuition assistance. For more information, please visit our website at www.air.org. To apply, please go to https://jobs-airdc.icims.com/jobs/9222/web-designer/job. Candidates must apply online for consideration. EOE.