EWG seeks a web designer who is able to envision, source and create high quality web graphics in a dynamic, fast-paced and interdisciplinary environment that values flexibility, responsiveness and enthusiastic engagement with peers and supervisors.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
• Extensive use of graphic design capabilities to develop Web pages and sites that are visually appealing and interesting.
• Building small and large web applications and sites using Drupal
• Envisioning, sourcing and creating high quality graphics for EWG’s web properties.
• Writing XHTML and CSS code and working with jQuery, AJAX and PHP programming.
• Creating and adjusting email marketing templates and landing pages.
• Working collegially with other members of the web team and participate in office training programs
• Other duties as assigned
Successful applicants will have:
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in web work.
• A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and 3 years of professional experience in business or government. Professional or non-professional experience as described above can substitute on a year-for-year basis for required college education.
• Advanced knowledge of web programming languages.
• Experience designing high-traffic web sites and user interfaces from scratch; knowledge of best practices in layout and web optimization.
• Understanding of website usability.
• Strong understanding of web standards and semantic web markup.
• 3+ years’ experience with back-end Web technologies: PHP 5+, MySQL, Apache
• 3+ years’ experience with open source content management systems such as Drupal and Wordpress, including theme-ing and administration.
• Advanced experience with Illustrator, PhotoShop, InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver.
• Proficiency with the Adobe CS5 Suite.
• Working understanding of SEO and web tracking tools such as Google Analytics.
• Knowledge of current web trends, technologies and online communities.
• Excellent organizational, communications and multi-tasking skills, with attention to detail.
• Ability to manage multiple projects with an eye for detail and quality.
• Print design experience and ability to translate brand and message; illustration and animation skills are a plus.
• Ability and desire to learn new applications/processes/environment.
• Ability to stay flexible in responding to day-to-day changes in priorities.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. EWG provides excellent benefits and participates in a 403(b) retirement plan.
No phone calls please. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or already authorized to work in the U.S.
How to apply
Send resume, cover letter, web design and development portfolio and availability date, with the subject line “Web Designer,” to Scott Mallan at