The World Bank is seeking talented online designers who are capable of leading efforts to use the web in engaging more effectively with international audiences from its DC Headquarters and Country Offices. If you are interested in topics that are critical to international development such as poverty alleviation, gender equality, climate change, fair trade, or food security, or if you have specific background in regions like Africa, South Asia, or Latin America, the Bank may be interested in you.
Are you a talented, creative and forward-thinking web designer? Do you operate well in a fast-paced and dynamic environment? If you are passionate about designing websites then we want to hear from you!
This is a part-time or freelance/contract position that requires a flexible schedule to accommodate an average of 20 hours/week of work.
• Work under the direction of the Managing Editor and Design Lead and collaborate with other designers, editors, information architects, and developers to conceptualize and design web pages and new functionality using existing wireframes and adhering to the corporate style guide and branding guidelines.
• Produce graphics and other visual elements for the Bank’s website, digital advertising, and social media assets, including: banners, icons, infographics, multimedia content such as photo galleries and slideshows.
• 3-5 years experience designing websites
• Strong design skills, good grasp of visual hierarchy and ability to design clean style web pages
• Expert knowledge of Photoshop and familiarity with DreamWeaver, Illustrator and InDesign
• Knowledge of image optimization and website constraints including download times, browser differences and web-safe palettes
• Superb attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
• Experience working within templates and grid based design
• Familiar with user-interface and information architecture principles
• Ability to work capably under stress and to juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines
• Drive and self-starting attitude and strong interpersonal and teamwork skills; sensitive to working in a multicultural environment
• A strong portfolio of past work (doesn’t have to be big, just strong)
How to apply
Send a cover letter, resume and portfolio to - USE WEB DESIGNER - SMASHING MAGAZINE as the e-mail subject.