Web Communications Specialist
Nature of Work:
Under the general direction of the Manager of the Citizen Engagement Division, the Web Communications Specialist coordinates and directs the development and maintenance of the City’s public facing and internal web sites & web communications.
Develops user interfaces for custom applications and designs appropriate graphics. Assist with implementation and customization of third party applications. Administers content management system and trains users to appropriately update website content. Develops a keen understanding of city functions and departments and translates business needs into functional processes.
Assures the timeliness and appropriateness of web site content in conjunction with other city staff. Recognizes gaps in web content and proactively drives initiatives to enhance existing content as well as develop new content. Continuously improves web site and web based communication interfaces to serve customers more efficiently and effectively.Implement outreach and marketing efforts to help customers find and use web content and services. Designs and implements internal and external web pages. Ensures consistency of branding, messaging, and communications across web channels. Converts documents into HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) or other complex programming languages. Determines Web needs, strategies, and goals and develops Web pages that meet those needs.
Functional requirements of this position include, good understanding of web development principles, strong communication skills, ability to work with various areas of the City staff, artistic design skills, ability to work with technical aspects of web development, and strong project management skills.
An Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or a related discipline from an accredited college or university, is preferred for this position; or any combination of training and experience that provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
- A minimum of three years of hands-on experience as a web developer.
- An in-depth knowledge of Microsoft operating systems and Microsoft Office products;
- Thorough knowledge of Web design principles and technology.
- Formal design training with good page layout and typography skills.
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite and other web development tools.
- Experience with open source software a plus.
- Experience with both Apache and Microsoft web servers a plus.
- Experience with both Linux and Microsoft operating systems a plus.