Visual/Interaction Designer, StumbleUpon
StumbleUpon’s design team is looking for a passionate Visual/Interaction Designer who likes to roll up their sleeves and dig into all aspects of challenging design problems. This candidate must be the type of designer who likes to take initiative and thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment.
The Visual/Interaction Designer will work on all aspects of design projects for key areas of the StumbleUpon consumer-facing site (including registration and community experiences) and StumbleUpon tools for marketers and publishers. This includes:
- developing designs from conceptual mockups to finalized experiences ready for deployment to millions of active users or tens of thousands of advertisers, publishers and marketers;
- developing and communicating process flows and design deliverables ranging from rough sketches or diagrams to finalized mocks;
- working closely with Product Development to develop user research, usability tests, and design concepts;
- performing usability studies that inform the design and architecture of successful user experiences;
- collaborating with multidisciplinary teams to continuously give recommendations to improve and enhance usability;
- utilizing Photoshop, Fireworks and/or Illustrator to create designs that represent knowledge of design/interaction best practices and design patterns.
- Responsible for all stages of visual and user interface design on one or more of StumbleUpon’s products.
- Define interaction design and user flow so information is easy to read, easy to understand, easy to find.
- Marketing and promotion of products and features so users understand what they’re getting and what the benefits are.
- BA/BS or above preferred in Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interface, Graphic Design, or other design field or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years of experience designing web-based interfaces and interactions, including designing and running usability studies
- Expert knowledge of design software (Photoshop, Illustrator and/or Fireworks), as well as a demonstrated ability to either follow or define a web interface style guide.
- A diverse web-based portfolio that showcases your work.
- Proven ability to act as a leader in communicating conceptual ideas and design rationale, all within a user-centered design process.
- Must be self-motivated, effective problem solver who can prioritize and manage work load and meet critical project milestones and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build good working relationships.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Superb attention to detail.
NICE TO HAVES:
- Experience designing for print/promotional items, such as marketing collateral, tshirts, and giveaways is a plus.
- Experience with A/B testing and an Agile development cycle is a plus.
- Experience with mobile app design is a plus.
- Experience with usability testing is a plus
StumbleUpon is a discovery engine that finds the best of the web, recommended just for you. But we’re not ones to rest on our laurels: StumbleUpon is a growing discovery and social recommendation technology company with the audacious long-term goal of helping people quickly and easily discover and share information individualized to their unique tastes and preferences. With more than 10 million users and half a billion recommendations per month, StumbleUpon is the leading way to discover great content on the Internet. Founded in 2001, StumbleUpon is based in San Francisco and backed by the same investors as Google and Facebook.