User Interface Designer - Job 6439
The Computer and Statistical Sciences Center (CSSC) supports the Assessment program through software design and development and applied statistics specific to educational assessment. The staff comprises more than sixty software engineers, programmers, project managers, graphic designers, technical writers, testers, and system analysts. We are currently seeking a User Interface Designer to join our growing and dynamic team.
CSSC’s main services include, but are not limited to:
• Building and maintaining systems around pre-production, processing, analysis, online testing, and electronic reporting of assessments
• Conducting analyses and generating data for assessment reports
• Performing research and development towards innovative functions of assessment systems
• Supporting systems around hosting, code and data deployments, system back-ups, etc.
This position will belong to CSSC’s Interaction Design Team, assisting with lead designers on large high-profile online assessment systems. We’re looking for someone who has a solid design sense, can problem solve some tricky CSS issues and has an intuitive feel for both usability and accessibility. You may get to own smaller projects as they become available.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Web site maintenance; including edits on help guides, static messages, web links.
2. Troubleshoot CSS display and rendering issues in dynamic, web-based applications on a variety of browsers and operating systems.
3. Implement simple designs from a Photoshop file using css and html (no tables).
4. Develop wireframes for an application.
5. Provide programmers and managers feedback on usability.
6. Assist with QA testing (as needed).
• Bachelor’s in Graphic Design or related degree and 2-3 years experience or Bachelor’s in unrelated field plus 3-5 years experience
• Strong understanding of CSS and strong working knowledge of HTML
• Use of best practices to create clean, cross-platform code.
• experience with print design (inDesign)
• High attention to detail and excellent time management
• Excellent analytical or critical thinking skills
• Quick aptitude for learning new software
• Highly motivated to achieve client satisfaction with timely, high quality services
• Self-starter and motivator with a strong sense of accountability
ALL APPLICANTS MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER AND PORTFOLIO (The portfolio must be viewable online and have sample HTML and CSS. In collaborative work, please be specific about your role.)