User Experience Designer
Boston Globe Media Partners (BGMP ) is seeking a talented UX Designer to help grow the visual experience underpinning its primary digital properties (BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, BetaBoston.com, BostonDeals.com, RadioBDC.com and others). This self-starting, highly motivated creative thinker will contribute to a diverse spectrum of projects, working aggressively to keep pace with the iterative process of a lean product operation. He/she will join a team of experienced designers and developers whose collective mission is to drive growth and engagement via an optimal user experience.
The UX Designer requires the ability to communicate design principles verbally and through wire frames, comps and HTML/CSS/JS. BGMP is looking for a team player able to easily move across disciplines, serving as a visual thought leader for teams like editorial, marketing and product development.
- Work closely with UX Director to define and maintain consistent style across all BMPG’s digital products, from desktop to mobile and beyond.
- Develop storyboards, wireframes, and functional prototypes to effectively communicate and validate design vision and user interaction specs.
- Drive the development and communication of design guidelines, patterns, and libraries.
- Initiate and manage user experience research and testing processes.
- Design iteratively in step with a fast-moving, lean product process, conceptualizing and refining ideas with a close eye to trends in user data.
- Identify and continuously track appropriate metrics for measuring and gauging success of UX; prepare usability test reports to evaluate ongoing performance and inform optimization efforts.
- Dictate hierarchy, consumer journey and navigation through high-quality information architecture.
- Provide a clear, consistent voice on end-to-end user experience design to project teams and stakeholders.
- Partner with engineering team to ensure BGMP leverages its potential scale without compromising on core experiential principles.
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas and detailed design rationale, both verbally and visually.
- Develop conceptual use cases, user flows, diagrams and working prototypes by considering market analysis, customer feedback, site metrics, and usability findings.
- Work closely with product managers to convert spec documents into concrete designs, and with front-end engineers to convert designs into clean front-end code.
- Lead projects across platforms and work with colleagues in other departments to ensure seamless integration.
Qualifications & Skills:
- 4+ years of experience in web design, with a strong emphasis on user experience and usability.
- BA or BS with a design-related focus (Graphic Design, Journalism, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, etc) preferred.
- Proven track record of creative design and strategy that anticipate market trends, meet user needs, product requirements, and business goals (both short- and long-term).
- Strong portfolio reflecting successful user-centered design practices in product development.
- Expert in the principles and practices of user centered design, responsive design and Information Architecture across both wired and mobile platforms.
- Ability to articulate the reasons for success or failure of past design.
- Fluent in the design process and the creation/use of storyboards, UI flows, wireframes, personas and functional prototypes to effectively brainstorm, communicate and validate design vision, leading to the creation of a compelling User Experience.
- Demonstrable experience with complex interactions, capable of “connecting the dots” in complex user scenarios (e-commerce experience a plus).
- Creative thinker, capable of thinking “out of the box” to create innovative products.
- User advocate, willing to work through conflict resolution to deliver the best products.
- Experience in a startup or entrepreneurial venture highly valued; must be a true self-starter with a propensity for execution.
- A highly organized individual, with close attention to detail.
- Expertise in developing information architecture, interaction models, customer flows, schematics and visual design for products and services.
- Strong experience with interaction, motion and visual design of mobile and web interfaces.
- Extensive experience with Adobe Creative Suite and design and prototyping tools such as Visio, OmniGraffle, Keynote, Axure, Balsamiq, and Fireworks as they relate to documenting IA, interactions flows and high-fidelity screen level design.
- Comfortable with an iterative design process that includes accepting and managing feedback and constructive criticism.
- Familiarity with web analytics and related user research tools such as Google Analytics, Usertesting.com, etc.