Technical Writers will work collaboratively with software developers, testers, project managers and the communications team to develop plain-language guides for teachers and administrators. The ideal candidate will be comfortable navigating new system interfaces and have the ability to translate system functionality into tasks and questions typical for a teacher or school administrator using each system. Must be an exceptionally strong, clear writer who does not rely on technical jargon.
This is a temporary position.
• Develop plain-language User Guides and Training Manuals for multiple online systems.
• Bring audience sensitivity to all guides and manuals
• Follow the standard design, layout, and format of the documentation using approved software tools.
• Test user documentation against the product in conjunction with the subject matter expert to ensure the documentation’s technical accuracy rectifying any discrepancies.
• Manage each defined project schedule including planning time for necessary reviews of documentation. Anticipate projects in development stage and communicate with the Knowledge Support Team Manager to allow for adequate planning.
• Provides system diagrams of the existing systems and proposed system enhancements.
• Provide technical and functional requirements of new software modules.
• Bachelors or Master’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science or IT, or equivalent combination of training and experience
• At least 2 years of technical writing experience in software development field
• Experience developing communications materials for a lay audience that involves online systems
• Ability to convey complex information to lay person audience with basic levels of technical knowledge
• Experience working on software development projects in a technical role (developer, technical writer, tester, business analyst) preferred
• Basic knowledge of HTML, SQL and/or a programming language
• Past experience in writing functional requirements. Other experience with documentation tasks may include: system documentation, use cases and UML.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Proven problem-solving and demonstrated teamwork skills
• Strong interest in software and technical writing technologies
AIR offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including a fully funded retirement plan, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, and tuition assistance. For more information, please visit our website at www.air.org. To apply, please go to https://jobs-airdc.icims.com/jobs/9241/technical-writer/job. Candidates must apply online for consideration. EOE.