Software Developer - Mobile
How many companies can truly say they want to help all of humanity? Wikipedia is already the 5th largest website with around 500 million unique visitors and 17 billion page views per month. Our mobile traffic is growing rapidly and is already at roughly 2 billion page views per month and in many countries this is the primary means of accessing the internet. Yet our mobile site is still in its infancy, does not allow editing and is not fulfilling its full potential.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit, technology organization of around 100 employees and with the help of a diverse and fantastic set of volunteers we have the challenging mission of providing and curating free knowledge to all of humanity regardless of whether they are using the latest smartphone or an older handset that has seen better days.
- Participate in feature development from inception to deployment for the mobile experience
- Work within a small and agile team focused on mobile development and user experience.
- Engage with a passionate user community to take Wikipedia and its sibling sites to the next stage of mobile knowledge and content sharing
- Experience with mobile UX and UI design and development
- Substantial experience developing large scale web applications in PHP
- You must be comfortable in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
- The ideal candidate will be creative, highly motivated, and able to operate effectively in multiple cultural contexts
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with PhoneGap
- Experience with iOS, Android, and Symbian SDKs
- Experience with use of wiki technology i
- Experience living or working outside of your home country
- Understanding of free culture / free software / open source
About the Wikimedia Foundation:
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Our commitment: Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
According to comScore Media Metrix, Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation receive more than 482 million unique visitors per month, making them the fifth-most popular web property world-wide (comScore, January 2012).
Available in 282 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 21 million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than 100,000 people.
Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501©(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants.
The Wikimedia Foundation was created in 2003 to manage the operation of Wikipedia and its sister projects. It currently employs 100 staff members.
Wikimedia works with local chapter organizations in 39 countries or regions to advance the mission of the Wikimedia movement.