Software Developer, Mobile
… a passionate software engineer who wants the challenge of building out the next set of mobile features for Wikipedia and all of its sibling sites. You love writing open source software at a large scale, and you want to help make the mobile ecosystem more open by doing your part.
Wikimedia is building a new mobile team to respond to the large strategic need for not only providing all Wikimedia content through mobile but also allowing for participation through mobile devices. In this role you will be able to develop new features for Wikipedia to grow on millions of new devices. These new features will play a key role in expanding the reach and participation of both existing and new Wikipedia users world wide.
Director of Mobile and Special Projects
There are over 1.4 billion mobile views of Wikipedia every month and it’s growing steadily. We want to make the mobile experience on Wikipedia and our other projects one that people keep coming back to and we need your help. In this role, you’ll have the ability to develop new ways to expand, share and present the biggest collection of free and open knowledge on the internet. If you love tinkering with WebKit, debugging jQuery, and experimenting with front end technologies on mobile devices then contact us.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in feature development from inception to deployment for the mobile experience
- Work within a small and agile team focused on mobile development and user experience.
- Engage with a passionate user community to take Wikipedia and its sibling sites to the next stage of mobile knowledge and content sharing
- Experience with mobile UX and UI design and development
- Substantial experience developing large scale web applications in PHP
- You must be comfortable in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
- The ideal candidate will be creative, highly motivated, and able to operate effectively in multiple cultural contexts
- Experience with PhoneGap a huge plus
- Experience with iOS, Android, and Symbian SDKs a huge plus but not a requirement
- Experience with use of wiki technology is a major plus
- Experience living or working outside of your home country is a major plus
- Understanding of free culture / free software / open source is a plus
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to comScore Media Metrix, Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation receive more than 420 million unique visitors per month, making them the 5th most popular web property worldwide (July 2011). Available in more than 270 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 20 million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501©(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants. The Wikimedia Foundation was created in 2003 to manage the operation of Wikipedia and its sister projects. It currently employs 93 staff members. Wikimedia is supported by local chapter organizations in 36 countries or regions.