Software Developer Frontend
You Are …
You thrive in a team of smart engineers, and you’re looking forward to making an impact. If much or all of this applies to you
- please send us a thoughtful application letter and tell us why you’re the right person for the job! :)
Director of Features
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop new and enhance existing reading and editing features for Wikimedia sites.
- Develop MediaWiki core software to support both editor and contribution growth.
- Work on a variety of projects including user-facing feature, support systems such as fundraising, survey tools, etc., depending on priority
- Help improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of various affected system components.
- Participate in and conduct design and code reviews.
- Support testing efforts for feature deployments of features.
- Participate in periodic technology meetings for design, development and testing of editing features.
- 5+ years of experience building web applications.
- 5+ years experience with user interface application development, testing and production deployment.
- Significant development experience in server-side technologies such as C/C++ and/or Java.
- Experience working on cross-browser platforms.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related field preferred.
- Extensive experience building large-scale server applications.
- Knowledge developing and debugging in Linux/Unix (LAMP) environments.
- Experience with cross-browser compatibility testing.
- Experience with MediaWiki and other open source PHP-based content management systems is a major plus.
- Experience with operating system internals, filesystems, programming language design, compilers, distributed systems, or server architectures.
- Knowledge of Agile Methodologies such as Scrum and Extreme Programming (XP).
- Experience in the Wikipedia community a major plus.
- Experience contributing to a major open source project.
- Knowledge of UI frameworks such as XUL, Flex, and XAML a plus.
- Understanding of free culture / free software / open source.
- Experience working with online volunteers.
- Experience with wikis and participatory production environments.
- Good sense of humor always a major plus.
- Being creative, highly motivated, hard-working and ability to work effectively in multiple cultural contexts are great assets.
- You must be comfortable working in an open, highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to comScore Media Metrix, Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation receive more than 393 million unique visitors per month, making them the 5th most popular web property worldwide (July 2011). Available in more than 270 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 19 million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501©(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants. The Wikimedia Foundation was created in 2003 to manage the operation of Wikipedia and its sister projects. It currently employs 92 staff members. Wikimedia is supported by local chapter organizations in 36 countries or regions.
How to apply
* Please send a CV and cover letter to jobs[at]wikimedia.org. Please put the position title (Software Developer Frontend) in your subject line.
* Please provide URLs to any existing open source software work you may have done (your own software or patches to other packages) if possible. We'd love to see what you can do! Provide us your technical blog URLs if any. And let us know why this position interests you.
* Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered.
* Please copy and paste the text of your CV into the e-mail, in addition to attaching the file.
* Due to the volume of applications we receive, we regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
* Local San Francisco, CA candidates are preferred though remote candidates may be considered.
Additional job openings posted at: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Job_openings