Senior Software Engineer
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm with a growing software engineering and product development team. We design and build things that are inspiring and make a real impact in the online testing industry. We are currently seeking a Lead Software Engineer to join our team in the Washington, DC office.
Be part of something innovative and cutting edge. Join our team of more than a hundred software engineers, designers, project managers and software specialists that are smart, creative and excited by what they do.
Some of our ground-breaking work includes:
• advanced computer-adaptive algorithms (only one that’s peer-approved in the country)
• mobile support for the user interfaces
• learning management systems with social media features
• user interfaces that are universally accessible to people with or without disabilities
• innovative, machine-scorable items
• Lead and supervise development and deployment of software products dealing with automated machine scoring of open ended student responses
• Perform software requirements analysis through engagement with project managers, project directors, and clients
• Software design and engineering including algorithm design, implementation, correctness verification, user experience, and performance
• Code development and maintenance
• Provide leadership to software development teams and mentor junior staff
• Evaluation of existing software architecture, proposing new directions, developing change management plans, and leading change
• Bachelors and/or Masters degree in Computer Science
• 8+ years of development experience
• Experience with relational databases and writing SQL queries preferred
• Solid understanding of object oriented (OO) analysis and design principles and demonstrated proficiency/expert knowledge in OO design
• Proficient/expert knowledge in design of multi-tiered web-based systems
• Proficiency in development of highly efficient and high performance distributed software systems
• Excellent analytical skills
• Highly detail-oriented
• Good communication skills
• Ability to work well on a team as well as independently
• Experience with machine learning, natural language processing and computational linguistics
• Experience using statistical methods for data mining on vast quantities of data.
• Professional experience utilizing J2EE technologies
• Working knowledge of .NET (C#, ASP.NET), Python and statistical packages.
AIR offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including a fully funded retirement plan, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, and tuition assistance. For more information, please visit our website at www.air.org. To apply, please go to https://jobs-airdc.icims.com/jobs/8459/senior-software-engineer/job. Candidates must apply online for consideration. EOE.