Senior Developers wanted for collaborative open-source project
OLE (the Open Library Environment) has partnered with EBSCO and Index Data to build and implement FOLIO, a new open source library services platform. OLE is seeking senior level developers to work with the Index Data development team to build out the FOLIO platform, as well as, develop functional library service “apps” to contribute to the FOLIO library management system.
Let’s start with the perks!
● Professional growth: To create a truly innovative FOLIO system this team will be using a spectrum of technologies. The senior developers will be expected to have base skills (see below) but will also have plenty of opportunities to learn in a hands on environment!
● Flexible location and hours: This position will be based out of Cornell University, an OLE partner institution. However, the Index Data and OLE teams will be distributed internationally so there is flexibility in location and work hours. Remote work location will be negotiated.
● Collaboration and innovation: You will be part of a team. The FOLIO team members may be distributed, we work CLOSELY across time zones, institutional boundaries, and disciplines. This means developers and functional experts collaborating. We need YOUR input!
● Working with the best: This project requires SENIOR developers and they’ll be coming from all over the world. This will create a stimulating environment and a highly desired end product!
Now for the nuts and bolts…
As a Senior Developer reporting to the OLE Project Manager (PM), you will:
● Focus on developing innovative approaches to library management software in the FOLIO environment, and contributing to the FOLIO technical framework to encourage contribution to and adoption of FOLIO and the FOLIO platform by the Library Community.
● Demonstrate initiative, creativity, and innovation in the development of stable, maintainable, and efficient software solutions.
● Provide leadership in design, development, and implementation of new software solutions. Provide highly specialized expert technical knowledge of all issues pursuant to the development of the next phase of OLE.
● Take responsibility for designing programmatic solutions and work with other developers on the team to resolve technical issues.
● Work as part of a team to organize and own initiatives to analyze functional business processes, determine system specifications, design solutions, write software, and implement critical system applications while maintaining standards and good quality.
● Participate in tactical and strategic planning sessions in an open forum environment, with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), and with the Product Owners (PO). Collaborate with PO, SME teams, UX Designers, and other team members to understand goals, processes, and standards.
● Own areas of project plans and roadmaps ensuring implementation, troubleshooting, and maintenance support. Provide training and support to staff, serves as a resource for problem analysis and resolution.
● Develop proofs-of-concept for data migrations from the current OLE data structures into the newly designed data-centric infrastructure of FOLIO.
● Work independently as a senior member of the OLE project team and maintain excellent relationships with members of the OLE community as well as collaborating partners in FOLIO, through careful consideration and thorough communications on analysis and programming assignments.
● Ensure established standards are followed and that the latest versions of the software infrastructure are being used, as well as ensuring the applications take advantage of emerging functionality that increases technical productivity or provides value added new services.
These are two year, benefits-eligible term appointments. Visa Sponsorship is not available.
What we need from you:
Qualified applicants must be able to communicate effectively and provide strong leadership in a team of highly skilled software engineers and designers. Must be able to bring a strong
service-oriented and collaborative approach to designing and developing robust and reliable software. Ability to build good working relationships and establish trust with a diverse group of academic and administrative university colleagues.
REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Systems, or related discipline. Three to five years minimum of professional experience working as a software engineer using the standard development tools and frameworks. Combinations of related education and experience may be considered.
● Demonstrated ability working with enterprise-scale software development. Expert knowledge of standard development tools and frameworks. Understanding of common design patterns, service-oriented architecture, and test-driven development.
● Demonstrable skill in analyzing complex problems and producing concrete, actionable solutions, specifically as it pertains to production troubleshooting. Experience resolving highly complex integration issues involving multiple technologies and business areas.
● Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills are required. Customer service attitude and willingness to work as part of a team in a dynamic and complex environment is required. Ability to work with a variety of people with varying degrees of technical knowledge.
● Ability to assume project leadership for OLE and work at the highest level of technical complexity. High levels of accuracy, problem-solving, dependability, and responsibility are essential.
● Work independently with little guidance, seeking functional, technical, and managerial input when needed.
● Enthusiasm for learning new technologies.
Preferred Knowledge and Experience in some of these or comparable core technologies and skills:
● RESTful web services (JAX-RS or Spring Rest);
● Message queues;
● HTTP/REST and related network protocols;
● JSON/XML and related technologies;
● Test Driven Development;
● Use of design patterns in development;
● Modern build and test tools for web application development;
● Amazon AWS or similar cloud hosting environment a plus
See how YOU can become part of this team using the instructions below:
Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas to further the university’s mission of teaching, discovery and engagement. With our main campus located in Ithaca, NY, Cornell’s far-flung global presence includes the medical college’s campuses on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and Doha, Qatar, as well as the new Cornell Tech campus opening on Roosevelt Island in the heart of New York City. We offer a rich array of services, programs and benefits to help employees advance in their career and enhance the quality of personal life, including employee wellness, workshops, childcare and adoption assistance, parental leave and flexible work options.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We’re an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.