Ruby on Rails Developer
Hi, we’re Greater Washington Publishing Inc., purveyors of fine local directories and, if we were one to name drop, a subsidiary of The Washington Post Company. We enjoy the internet, web programming, wearing flip flops to the office and the occasional long walk on the beach. We’re known for our award-winning publications & websites, as well as our charming personalities and great longevity of staff.
More importantly, we want to know about you. We are looking for an experienced Ruby on Rails developer to join our little web team. This position will provide support in all phases of development for all GWPI websites and mobile products, which includes planning, implementation, conversion and maintenance of both current and future projects. We’d like our new teammate to have solid experience with rapidly developing web applications, and the ability to deliver projects on time with high-quality results.
• 2+ years of professional experience developing websites using Ruby on Rails
• A working knowledge of relational databases, including MySQL, which should probably be a given if you have done this sort of work in the past
• Scripting (Ruby/Perl/Bash), Configuring Apache
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• Excellent communication skills
• Work effectively on multiple tasks
Any of the following experience would be beneficial but is not required:
Passenger, any mobile JS frameworks like Sencha, Capistrano, GIT, Subversion, Linux server admin, Web Services, J2EE, Tomcat, Mod-jk, PostgreSQL, a love of the unspeakably awesome and far too short lived sci-fi masterpiece, Firefly.
As a subsidiary of The Washington Post Company, we offer comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and flexible hours.