Principal Software Architect
Be part of something innovative and cutting edge.
Join our team of more than a hundred software engineers, designers, project managers and software specialists that are smart, creative and excited by what they do.
Some of our ground-breaking work includes:
• advanced computer-adaptive algorithms (only one that’s peer-approved in the country)
• mobile support for the user interfaces
• learning management systems with social media features
• user interfaces that are universally accessible to people with or without disabilities
• innovative, machine-scorable items
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm with a growing software engineering and product development team. We design and build things that are inspiring and make a real impact in the online testing industry. We are currently seeking a Technical Leader/Principal Software Engineer to join our team in the Washington, DC office.
• Provide technical leadership of innovative, cutting-edge software projects
• Lead software design, engineering, and architecture efforts
• Partner with other technical leads and chief architects on architecting large-scale complicated solutions
• Oversee risk mitigation around performance, data integrity, and scalability
• Apply creative thinking/approach to determine technical solutions that further business goals, keeping in mind performance, reliability, scalability, usability, security, flexibility, and cost
• Inspire people through his/her technical know-how
• Skillfully identify problems and solve complex problems with simple solutions
• Provide technical leadership to project teams, including setting the architecture vision and roadmap, being the primary contact for technical communications
• PhD in Computer Science required; consideration will also be given to individuals who have evidence of intellectual aptitude, innovation, effectiveness, and follow-through
• 12 + years of extensive experience in building complex software projects, such as highly efficient real-time distributed data-driven systems
• 8+ years of hands-on experience as technical lead of complex software projects, including designing, building, and providing technical oversight to the development team and to a lesser extent, working with the systems engineering team
• 8+ years of proven expertise on being a Technical Lead of large-scale data-driven production systems that are heavily used
• Demonstrated experience on creating prototypes of cutting-edge systems and designing/building a production-ready version
• Expert knowledge in design of multi-tiered web systems
• Training and experience in artificial intelligence, preferred
• Ability to communicate ideas and provide direction to more junior staff
• Application architecture/development experience with deep technology expertise in the following:
o Extensive hands on design/coding experience/skills on architecture design of large scale platforms
o Strong service development experience with high performance and scalability
o SQL/NoSQL technology
o Web Services (REST/ SOAP)
o Service Oriented Architecture
AIR offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including a fully funded retirement plan, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, and tuition assistance. For more information, please visit our website at www.air.org. To apply, please go to TBD. Candidates must apply online for consideration. EOE.