Lead Visual Web Designer
The Cheezburger Network is looking to hire a Lead Visual Web Designer to help us make the Intertubes a happier place.
Cheezburger is one of the world’s largest online humor and entertainment destination with dozens of sites including I Can Has Cheezburger?, FAIL Blog, Memebase, and The Daily What. We try to look at the world a little differently, with an open mind and a desire to test new ideas and take risks. We’re serious about making the world a happier place and that starts with a results-focused environment. We work hard and have a lot of fun when we succeed.
About the position:
This position will report to the CTO or Director of Product or Director of Design.
What you will be doing:
- Create an appealing, polished, and consistent visual style across all Cheezburger Network sites.
- Look for ways to incorporate humorous, creative, or surprising visual details into our sites that will delight our users.
- Produce final design comps from functional specifications and wireframes.
- Work with the product team to ensure new features and functionality look awesome, fit in with our style, and are easy to understand and use.
- Plan out ways to make iterative improvements to the branding and overall visual style of the product.
- Brainstorm with the team to come up with fresh and effective solutions.
- Create or source production-quality art and graphic elements.
- Establish typographic guidelines that fit into the overall style and are highly readable.
- Keep current on web design trends and techniques, and be an advocate for good design within the company.
- Help maintain a style guide and UI pattern library.
- Direct and mentor junior designers.
- 7+ yrs. professional experience as a web graphic designer, web designer, UI designer, or similar.
- Degree in graphic design, interactive communications, or similar.
- Well-versed in fundamental visual and interaction design principals.
- Lover of grid systems, style guides, and typography for the web.
- The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously and multi-task in an agile environment.
- Experience leading design reviews and managing feedback.
- Knowledge of current HTML/CSS best practices and web standards.
- Mastery of standard design tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, OmniGraffle, etc.)
- A strong portfolio demonstrating an ability to work in versatile styles, a gifted eye for aesthetics, and relevant experience in graphics for web, email and print.
- A high degree of intellectual curiosity. We need people who constantly think about changing the world to be a better place and have the ambition to do it.
Additional stuff we would love to see:
- Strong illustration skills and icon design
- Experience with Agile development practices
- Honesty and open-mindedness: can you be honest, caring and put yourself in the other person’s shoes?
- Ambition and curiosity: we want you to leave Cheezburger a better person and a smarter professional.
- Passion for our mission to make the world happy for 5-minutes a day.
Position is for a full-time salaried employee out of our Lower Queen Anne offices (Seattle) and telecommuting is possible. Permanent legal right to work in the US is required.
Compensation is competitive and varies according to your level of experience and performance. We offer full benefits including health, dental, vision, and even a cellphone stipend.
More about Cheezburger
Our Core Values:
- Openness: Integrity, open-mindedness and fairness about our actions and our business.
- Growth: Exceed ever higher standards. Professional growth.
- Happiness: Embody what we preach and don’t be a jerk to each other.
Make the world happy for 5-minutes a day.
What do other people have to say about us:
- The New York Times declared that we’re a “web empire”: http://chzb.gr/c0tX36
- Our CEO was listed in the Top 100 Most Creative People in Business by Fast Company: http://chzb.gr/dvNy0j
- Our CTO was voted Seattle’s Best Startup Technologist: http://chzb.gr/9QYFoK
- Top startup in Seattle: http://chzb.gr/aK8yCB