Lead Rails Developer
We are looking for a creative, personable and talented Lead Rails Developer to join us in our Portland office.
You’ll get to work on some world-class projects for cool companies. And you’ll get great medical, dental and 401k benefits, professional development, a comfortable (if not homey) work environment with a nifty group of people, enviable coffee, and a fairly liberal schedule of baked goods, staff lunches, and happy hours.
You should have a strong web portfolio, focused on progressive technical solutions and user experience for seamless web experiences. You’ll be equal parts expert practitioner and skillful mentor, the lead developer on senior level projects like custom application builds, and mentor, guiding a small team of web developers. You’ll have a broad understanding of the range of web technologies and be comfortable jumping between them, though the majority of your work will be in Rails. You are mindful of best security practices, the value of good user interface design, and the trade -offs of speed versus maintainability. You collaborate well with designers and other developers to support integration and spur creative ideas. You maintain easily updated files with appropriate naming and commenting. You do all the debugging on your projects so that no one else has to. You know how to chart out reasonable deadlines, and then stick to them.
- • 5+ years of professional web development experience with a bachelors degree or equivalent
- • Advanced skills with Rails, MySQL, unit testing, and comfort with LAMP stacks.
- • Great understanding of Git and SVN
- • Experience in database design in modeling and service-based architectures
- • Experience with PHP (ideally CakePHP framework)
- • Experience architecting and planning web builds
- • Linux skills, server configuration and sys admin understanding
- • You play well with others, accept and give constructive feedback, and don’t leave a mess in the kitchen
- • Experience leading a team or managing web developers
- • Passion for design, user experience, and website usability
- • Mac lover and user
- • Attention to detail, both visual and in code
- • Quirky collection of tee-shirts, fixation with bicycles, or other things we can tease you about and you won’t get mad
How to apply
If this sounds like you, we look forward to hearing from you and seeing your great work. Please send a portfolio and resume to