Earth911 delivers actionable local information on recycling and product stewardship that empowers consumers to act locally, live responsibly and contribute to environmental sustainability. Our platform spans multiple communication methods and applications. We are a growing business, looking for creative, multifaceted individuals to grow with us.
To apply, please include in your application: a cover letter, examples from your portfolio, your resume and any pertinent recommendations.
The Interactive Designer has a passion for working with high-traffic web sites that focus on user experience, interaction and design. As a highly creative designer, the ideal candidate has exceptional ability writing semantic, standards-compliant front-end code, creating user-interface design solutions, and uses the latest technologies to develop and maintain dynamic websites.
As a member of a software development team, the Interactive Designer leads the front-end design and user interface programming of Earth911.com and related ventures from conception to completion. Though this position is primarily visual in nature, programming ability is an important aspect due to the need to provide a high-quality interactive experience. Enhancements and defect resolution will be required on an ongoing basis. Best practices and design methods will be utilized to insure the success of the projects.
The ideal candidate is highly creative and self-directed, with a minimum of 4-6 years experience as a web designer. A background in graphic design is essential and WordPress theming experience is a huge asset. Flexibility, adaptability and the ability to learn quickly in various technical and creative environments, while delivering quality work by tight deadlines, are key attributes of this individual.
* Drive the design aesthetic for Earth911’s multiple web properties and applications
* Design and help implement high quality web sites and applications
* Assist in redesigning existing web properties.
* Operates effectively as a member of a software development team to optimize existing Web technology and create the best possible user experience.
* Utilizes storyboarding, wire framing, mocks and graphic pre-designs where appropriate.
* Browser compatibility testing
* Tackle additional digital design tasks as required (e.g. email newsletters, microsites, ads, etc).
HOWSUCCESSWILL BE MEASURED
* Contribution to improvement of website page view and visitor metrics
* Peer code reviews, focus groups and usability testing
* Ability to maximize code reuse
* Ability to accurately estimate resource needs to complete projects and deliver on schedule
* Adherence to web standards
* Excellent hand coded HTML/CSS and experience with CSS frameworks and grid based design
* Experience integrating HTML/CSS with a CMS (Wordpress, Drupal, etc.)
* Proven portfolio of interface and graphic design work.
* Strong consultative and problem/solution skills are a must.
* Proven experience working in a team based, cross-functional environment.
* Demonstrates creative, technical and analytical skills.
* Ability to communicate effectively in both technical and business environments.
* Experience with designing information architecture and knowledge of enhancing navigation and layout for content rich websites.
* Excellent project management skills and comfortable working in a deadline-driven environment.
* Excellent communication skills, and the ability to facilitate your own meetings as necessary.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
* Minimum 3-5 years experience as a web designer.
* BA/BFA or equivalent training or experience in interactive arts and web design.
* WordPress theming
* Using versioning systems (Git)
* Experience with web analytics tools, SEO, and collecting data to inform design and refine approach.
* Extensive social networking development experience
* Experience with PHP programming
* Usability testing
* Social interaction design
How to apply
To apply, please include in your application: a cover letter, examples from your portfolio, your resume and any pertinent recommendations. Please send to
Smashing Jobs is your job board that will help you find the right person for your job opening. It is featured at
Smashing Magazine — a magazine that has more than 4 million monthly users and is known to be one of the most
successful magazines for creative professionals.
Since 2008, we have been helping great companies as well
as gifted job seekers to find their way to each other. We are
trusted by companies of all sizes, such as Electronic Arts,
Amazon, Lonely Planet, Garmin, Tesla Motors, Rockstar
Games, MIT Technology Review, Mercedes, Activision,
MTV and, last but not least, Nokia.
More Talents Needed?
Use our credit packages to cut your recruiting costs:
Only $300. 20% discount. You save $75.
Only $525. 30% discount. You save $225.
Paying is easy. You can pay from your PayPal deposit or simply start straight with your credit card.
There’s also the possibility of invoicing in which the alternative payment options are via bank transfer or check.
If you’d like to get your job posting up and running in a minute, we could forward you a coupon code asap and you can pay later. Just contact Giammarco (g<dot>ledda<at>smashingjobs.com).