Interaction Designer - Application Software
National Instruments is looking for experienced Interaction Designers who are passionate about detail, innovation and usability. We need designers who enjoy the challenge of translating usage patterns into intuitive interactions and workflows. As part of the team, you will collaborate with software developers, project managers, and other designers to develop new applications and continuously improve existing applications.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Collaborate with software developers, project managers, and other designers to define the user experience for new and existing products
- Collaborate with other designers for consistency both within and across product teams
- Iterate on interaction designs through sketches, wireframes, comps, and prototypes
- Document design decisions for individual features as well as product-level design guidelines
- Drive designs from concept to completion, iterating when necessary based on usability feedback and technical implementation limitations
- Share UX best practices with a large software engineering team
Note: National Instruments does NOT petition for H-1B (H1-B transfer) and TN status for this position.
- BS or MS Degree in interaction design (HCI, design, or a related field) or equivalent experience
- 4+ years as Interaction Designer, Experience Designer, or Information Architect
- Experience with interaction design for software applications
- Strong design skills, especially concerning workflow, information hierarchy, data visualization and typography
- Proficient in design and prototyping tools such as Visio, Dreamweaver, Sketchflow, Fireworks, etc.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects across multiple teams
Please note this position is not a visual design or software development position.
- Experience incorporating common interaction patterns into software applications, such as Microsoft Fluent Ribbon, zoom gestures, level of detail management, etc.
- Experience with Silverlight, XAML, and Expression Blend
- Familiarity with educational, scientific, technical, or engineering products
- Programming experience (any language)
About National Instruments
National Instruments (www.ni.com), a technology pioneer and industry leader in virtual instrumentation for more than 32 years, delivers LabVIEW graphical software and open, modular instrumentation hardware for design, simulation, control, test, and manufacturing. Engineers and scientists in hundreds of industries use flexible, high-performance NI products to create reliable user-defined systems throughout the product design cycle to reduce time to market and lower development costs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, NI has 5,100 employees worldwide, direct operations in more than 40 countries, and $821M in 2008 revenue. FORTUNE named NI one of the ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’ in America for the past 10 consecutive years; in June 2008 ELECTRONIC DESIGN named NI a “Top 50 Industry Companies to Work For," and in Fall 2006 BUSINESSWEEK named NI #14 on it’s “50 Best Places to Launch A Career” list.
National Instruments is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer an excellent work environment, and a competitive and well-rounded compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(K), profit sharing, restricted stock, employee discounted stock purchase plan, on-site fitness center and wellness program, and much more.
How to apply
Apply online at www.ni.com/careers, job ID #1011:
Job ID #1011