You’re fanatical about visualizing data in creative, accessible ways. You think a powerful infographic can change conventional wisdom. Bad design drives you crazy and you want to channel your design talent to promote public policies that strengthen free enterprise. We need you to help us make this case to new and existing audiences with visual media.
And that’s why this role is so important. The cause of free enterprise has long been supported by data-driven, empirically tenacious research. But for too long, this critical information has been marginalized as mere numbers in a spreadsheet…or a dreaded pie chart. At AEI, we’re committed to making the moral case for free enterprise, upholding it as the fairest system that does the most good for the most people. And we have the data to prove it.
We know there aren’t many of you out there. We’re looking for a whip-smart designer who combines creative savvy with a knack for finding the core idea of any piece of research – from health reform to defense budgeting – and then turning that core into a sticky, accessible presentation in short order.
Primary responsibilities include
- Collaborates with public policy scholars to present more of their work in visual forms.
- Translates AEI research into compelling digital (and some print) visuals, including infographics, charts, slide decks, one-pagers, and maps.
- Works to turn data points into memorable narratives.
- Manages a small team of production and graphic designers.
- Works closely with AEI’s website team to produce a variety of original materials for online and social media.
- Helps develop and strengthen the AEI brand across all media.
- A keen interest in current events, public policy, and AEI’s mission.
- Passion for simplifying complex concepts without dumbing them down.
- Competency with relevant design and data visualization tools: Photoshop Illustrator, InDesign, PowerPoint, Prezi, Tableau, etc.
- Flexible, organized, and enthusiastic personality. Must be a starter comfortable with an entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with data-intensive content.
- Knowledge of WordPress and website design is a plus.
- Portfolio of both print and digital work.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
AEI is a private, nonpartisan, not-for-profit institution that is home to some of America’s most accomplished public policy experts committed to expanding liberty, increasing individual opportunity, and strengthening free enterprise. AEI considers public policy issues in an educational manner and does not engage in lobbying.
Interested candidates should submit an online application complete with a cover letter, resume, and a design sample. Please apply online at: www.aei.org/jobs.