Head of Software Development
Tesco are committed to making the business a more development-led technology business akin to that of revered software houses and as such are restructuring their organisational capability. There is now a dedicated Digital team of 300 people across Product & Technology who sit in an innovation hub based in Clerkenwell. Over the coming years the business will transition to a Service Orientated Architecture (SOA) which will be an implementation of unprecedented scale as these services power the biggest online grocery business in the world as well the tills and distribution centres that support them.
Tesco now require a number of senior technology leaders with a software engineering heritage to join the business and reshape the way that development is executed and delivered across the global business. Software Development Managers will be part of a wider hiring initiative to build upon Tesco’s development capability. Areas of focus include: ClubCard, connected products, implementation of the next generation of websites including Grocery Home Shopping and product data.
This is an incredible time to join the organisation and be an early leader in the new technology organisation. The scale of Tesco offers exciting technological challenges on an unrivalled scale globally. Individuals who join at this stage will not only become part of an organisation with a rich heritage in technology innovation but will have the privileged position of being able to build and lead the new generation of technologists in an organisation of tremendous scale at a pivotal point in its history. Tesco’s global technology team is currently around 3,000 people strong and growing (the majority sit across Welwyn Garden City, Clerkenwell and India). This is a journey of cultural change, team building and period of experimentation within an environment which nurtures talent and rewards high performers with great responsibility.
- Adopt best practices in software engineering: design, testing, version control, documentation, build, deployment, monitoring and operations. Build flexible systems choosing simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones
- Drive innovation and continuous improvement in technology and methodologies to continuously increase productivity and ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across each area of focus
- Drive the planning and allocation for the development of the defined technology roadmap and develop, implement and maintain a disaster recovery plan
- Take a data driven approach to engineering where all initiatives have metrics to help drive progress and determine success
- Monitor security of a dedicated area and continue to upgrade it; monitor application performance and review any application failures
- Mentor and lead the team in challenging and pushing the boundaries of innovation and technology
- Anticipate and react to major technology changes to ensure the maintenance of company leadership in the competitive landscape, ensuring that Tesco is regarded as a leader and innovator in its field
- Establish technical standards and ensure adherence to them for product development and company operations
- Identify and evaluate new technology platforms that would help the Tesco achieve its objectives
- Ensure customer experience is 24/7 at optimum levels due to relentless tuning and performance improvement in the production platforms
- Participate in the development of the long-term development and business technology strategies including participation in decisions involving in-house vs. outsource and nearshore vs. far shore providers as well as build vs. partner vs. buy decisions on new products/functionality Ideal
The Ideal Candidate
- Ideal candidates will be true software engineering experts with proven credentials building and leading world class engineering teams.
-Ideally they will have a Bachelor’s degree equivalent in Computer Science or an Engineering/Science related discipline.
- Depth of professional software engineering experience and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Awareness of current technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices
- Hands on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
- Strong background in distributed systems and web scale’ computing
- Knowledge and experience of cloud technologies, modern software languages including fluency in at least 1 modern programming language (Java, C++, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience in implementing complex algorithms in vehicle routing and geospatial mapping
- Experience in implementing optimization algorithms
- Experience with data stores (both relational and non-relational); distributed systems and event driven service oriented architectures and knowledge of best practice in secure coding principle
- Proven track record in managing teams of software engineers through the full agile product development lifecycle whilst improving their skills and developing the teams
- Ability to handle multiple and competing priorities within a fast-paced environment
- Experience of running and supporting software in production
- Understanding of working in a matrix organization and owning all operational metrics and support
- Hands-on technical expertise of developing and managing well engineered solutions
Tagged as: C#, Java, Ruby