The RIPE Network Coordination Centre (RIPE NCC) is one of five Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) providing Internet resource allocations, registration services and coordination activities that support the operation of the Internet globally. The organisation is set up as a not-for-profit association and the working language is English. The environment is internationally orientated, with staff from more than 20 countries.
The Business Applications Department is responsible for the design, development, implementation, maintenance and support of high quality software applications for the RIPE NCC external and internal business processes.
We are looking for a skilled Front-end Engineer to join our team to create wonderful web applications.
The BA Team continuously improves the software development process by refining procedures and adopting common industry best practices and tools.
New software is written in Java on the back-end and HTML/CSS/jQuery on the user side. We use an Agile approach (Scrum/XP) to maximize flexibility. Delivery cycles are two weeks (called “sprints”), managed by our ScrumMasters. We have daily stand-up meetings and work closely together with our business counterparts.
This position is based at our office in the centre of Amsterdam.
- Maintain or improve our current user interfaces
- Set the User Experience vision and User Interface for a product
- Initiate frequent user interaction
- Participate in the Scrum team(s)
- Work together with other technical departments
- Participate in pair programming and frequent knowledge exchanges
In addition to the general qualifications outlined on our website, we are specifically looking for:
- Creation of mockups in Balsamiq Mockups, prototypes and working code from them
- Mastery of cross-browser HTML and CSS
- jQuery Ninja
- Experience with user-centered design
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Understanding of server side concepts: you will need to communicate with our back-end engineers
- Ability to work closely with our product owners and colleagues from other departments
- Strong written and spoken English, and ability to write user documentation
- Excellent team player
- Excellent social and communication skills
- Familiarity with open source software
- Comfortable working in a Mac environment
- Understanding of versioning systems and continuous integration
- Familiarity with test tools like Selenium and Jasmine
- Experience with mobile and responsive web development
- Experience with designing and/or developing user interfaces for communities or portals
- Keeping up with cutting edge web technologies and present them at our knowledge exchange meetings
- Affinity with the RIPE community or the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
The annual salary for this position is between € 47.555 and € 59.433 (before tax). This includes the standard 8% annual ‘holiday pay’ and a 5% end-of-year bonus. Monthly salary is between € 3.507 and € 4.383 (before tax).
We offer excellent secondary benefits to our employees, including a relocation package for those recruited from outside the Netherlands, help with finding somewhere to live, 30 vacation days (in addition to public holidays) and a generous training allowance. For a complete overview of our secondary benefits, please visit the Employment Opportunities section of our website.