Front-End Web Developer, Stanford Law School
The Web Developer will work as part of the web team in the Stanford Law School (SLS) Office of Communications and Public Relations to develop and maintain our various websites/web frameworks for the law school. This employee provides a highly technical professional service to the Law School through the application of his/her expertise in Internet technologies, software development, networking, and systems design.
Duties include working with the web team to update current and develop new custom web applications, enhance the law school website with dynamic content, and implement SLS Web initiatives.
Technically, the individual must be able to quickly synthesize complex design and functionality requirements and execute solutions that account for usability, accessibility, security, and maintainability.
- Work independently and as part of the web team to implement and document structural and functional changes to existing content management system.
- Develop and maintain our CMS platforms (Drupal, WordPress and other) to build new and enhance existing web applications that will be used by various law school audiences and clients.
- Integrate RSS, XML, JSON and other API functionality for blogs, social media, calendars, wikis, and other features into existing framework.
- Help develop and deploy an upgrade/migration plan for existing content management system using the latest standards and best practices for responsive design.
- Provide technical expertise and thought-leadership in frontend and backend web development as well as best practices, standards, accessibility, and process.
- Stay abreast of industry trends applicable to web technology.
- Work with the IT Department on identifying new products, platforms, tools, and processes to enhance or deliver new web services to our community.
- Coordinate with the IT Department on deployment plans, server prep, and ultimate hand-off for application migration.
- A four-year college degree or equivalent and 5-7 years prior work experience in a technical role involving product evaluation, implementation, deployment, systems design, and software development which provided exposure to and expertise in a broad range of relevant technologies.
- Expertise in current web trends and standards.
- Strong command of web standards, CSS-layouts, DOM scripting, cross-browser compatibility & browser degradation strategies.
- Understanding of dynamic or active web content and the use of CGI, Perl, Java, XML and JSON.
- Experience with SQL database (MySQL).
- Strong background in at least one of the following operating systems and familiarity with the others: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Working knowledge of networking technologies, including security and encryption on the Internet and basic networking concepts.
- Understanding of Unix/Linux system and Apache web-server administration.
- Experience with content management systems and effective strategies for content maintenance.
- Experience working with Google Webmaster Tools, Google Analytics, and Google Custom Search.
- Experience managing large-scale projects from start to finish to meet client deadlines.
- Experience implementing new processes and new technologies.
- Ability to learn new technologies relevant to website development.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and works exceptional well in a team environment.
- Ability to clearly document all projects and to create compelling presentations of work.
- Ability to meet deadlines and provide quick turnaround on projects when necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) with non-technical staff.
- Experience managing projects involving multiple groups or individuals with different project needs.
- Good software development and lifecycle management methodology and proven organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to test and debug for multiple browsers and devices.
- Experience developing for responsive and mobile websites.
- Experience with GIT version control repository and deployment workflow.
- Able to work during non-business hours as necessary to implement system changes, upgrades, and maintenance.
- A good sense of visual design in order to work well with graphic designers.
- Proficiency at turning PSD design files into pixel perfect HTML and CSS pages, including the optimization of images for responsive layouts.
- Experience with information architecture and user experience.
- Experience with InDesign rule-based layouts from XML.
- Experience automating tasks by writing scripts and using macros.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat Professional, Illustrator, and InDesign.
How to apply
All interested and qualified applicants must submit a cover letter and resume via the Stanford Careers website - https://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/job-search?jobId=61684