Front-End Web Developer (Freelance)
Do you want to work for an organization you can be proud of? The Pearson Foundation is looking for a smart, energetic, experienced Front-End Web Developer. Solidly supported by Pearson plc, one of the world’s leading education and media companies, the Foundation leverages the global reach of Pearson and its corporate, civic, and charitable partners to deliver education resources in areas of the world where they’re most desperately needed – and right here at home. Whether it’s planting the seeds of literacy by putting books in the hands of preschoolers, encouraging advocacy by empowering teens with digital technology, recognizing leadership with resources for teachers and college students, or sparking progression by bringing together global thought leaders around pressing problems, the Foundation’s objective remains the same: to make a real difference.
In other words, in dreaming up, writing up, building, and maintaining multiple sites as a developer for the Pearson Foundation, you’ll be creating much more than code. Ultimately, you’ll be helping to create positive change. The organization’s atmosphere is casual but dynamic, moving at a pace that requires serious self-motivation and focus. Opportunities as this one don’t arise often. If you’re a self-starter who lives and breathes the web – and if you want to feel good about what you do every day – we want to talk with you about this contract position.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
You must be a U.S.-based individual; no agencies or off-shore services will be considered. Local Bay Area proximity to attend meetings at the Foundation’s Mill Valley offices is preferred.
Your web-based portfolio demonstrates that you are:
- expert in hand-coding XHTML, CSS (pixel perfect translation of complex visual designs)
- experienced with HTML5 and CSS3
- experienced in integrating with social media applications and framework APIs (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- experienced in creating templates for content management systems (Drupal, Wordpress, Elgg, and others)
- expert at producing web optimized graphics
- comfortable debugging front-end code
- comfortable using source control systems (Subversion, Git)
- able to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-project environment
It’s a plus if you also have:
- experience with PHP
- experience with XML/XSLT
- experience wireframing and storyboarding sites and web apps
- mobile web development experience
- video compression/conversion experience