Front End Software Engineer
MaxMind is looking for a talented, experienced, and highly motivated Front End Software Engineer to help us develop and improve our products and websites. Founded in 2002, MaxMind is an industry-leading provider of IP intelligence and online fraud detection tools. MaxMind is privately held and based in Waltham, Massachusetts.
E-commerce fraud detection is a constantly changing field, and our work is never done. Fraudsters are always looking for new ways to evade detection, which means we’re always looking for new ways to detect them. Our fraud detection service, minFraud, builds on top of our widely used GeoIP products, which associate geographical and other data with individual IP addresses. We screen more than a billion online transactions each year and provide IP intelligence data to thousands of companies worldwide.
As a front end software engineer, you will be responsible developing websites and applications. This includes creating new web applications to help our clients better detect fraud while also working to improve our existing applications and websites. You will work closely with other front end engineers, back end devs, and our product team to convert designs to usable markup and with our platform development team to produce complex, interactive, database-driven web applications.
The salary range for this position starts at $110k/year and is negotiable depending on experience.
We invite candidates from Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, North Carolina, Oregon, and Canada. Relocation to any of the above mentioned locations is welcome.
OUR DEVELOPMENT PRACTICES
Our front end code uses Less, Sass, BEM, Bootstrap, Jade, Gulp, Knockout, and AngularJS; our JS unit tests are written using Jasmine. Our backend code is largely written in Perl and Go using PostgreSQL and Linux. We maintain high standards for our development practices. All new code is expected to include automated tests run by TeamCity, and all work goes through internal code review on GitHub Enterprise.
WORKING AT MAXMIND
As an employee of MaxMind, you’ll enjoy the flexibility and autonomy that come with being a member of a small technical team. Our engineering team is mostly remote, and communicates frequently via Slack and Google Hangouts. You have the option of working from our Waltham, MA office.
We’re a casual, friendly, results-focused company of about 35 employees. We want you to get things done, but it’s also important to have a life outside the office.
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer excellent medical, dental, vision, life, and short and long term disability insurance, a Safe Harbor 401(k) with employer contribution, FSA/DCA, and transit reimbursement. Inquire about benefits for Canadian employees.
Our office is located near downtown Waltham, MA, outside of Boston, a five minute walk from the nearest commuter rail line and several express bus lines.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate strong experience and knowledge in each of the following areas. We’ll give you a homework assignment that will give you an opportunity to show us your skills.
- Strong knowledge of modern CSS, and you have an opinion on what maintainable and scalable CSS means.
- Experience with CSS frameworks like Bootstrap as well as CSS preprocessors such as Less or Sass.
- Experience with responsive web design.
- Experience with revision control, preferably Git.
- Experience optimizing client-side performance.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- The ability to work with a geographically dispersed team.
- Capable with the command line.
- Experience with CMS tools such as WordPress or Drupal.
- Working knowledge of graphic design tools such as Sketch, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Backend development experience, especially with the implementation of RESTful APIs.
- User interface and experience design skills.
- Experience using Google Analytics to track custom events.
- Experience with data visualization.
- Experience with l10n/i18n.
- Open source contributions.
Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. Please include a link to your GitHub account or portfolio if you have one. We want to know about you!
MaxMind does not currently sponsor US employment visas.
Note: We can only consider applications from the US states of Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, North Carolina, and Oregon, and anywhere in Canada.