Front End Developer
Direct Wines is the world’s largest home delivery wine company selling high quality wines to a million active customers in the US, UK, Europe, Australia and Hong Kong. Established in 1969 and still privately owned, Direct Wines continues to grow rapidly in a number of international markets. The US is the fastest-growing market and the focus of its expansion plans. As well as recruiting customers under its own brand (Laithwaites Wine), Direct Wines also runs wine clubs for major business partners (The Wall Street Journal, Zagat and Virgin in the US).
In addition to the requirements outlined in this job description and in order to preserve Direct Wine’s working environment and team culture, all staff are expected to demonstrate the following personal qualities or competencies: Good communication skills, initiative & self motivation.
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
We’re looking for a talented front-end developer to join our growing in-house web team, working on innovative initiatives around our ecommerce platform and other web developments across the portfolio of wine clubs.
We’re looking for someone who can work both independently and collaboratively with other web team members, both regionally and globally – as well as with other, non-technical departments across the company. It is important that you possess creative thinking skills and are able to express ideas in an articulate, well thought-out manner.
You will be joining a growing company, at a very exciting time, selling a great product. And you’ll enjoy working in an environment that is fast-paced, dynamic and never boring.
MAIN JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
• Working with US marketing and web teams to develop and support an innovative online shopping experience using emerging web technologies
• Integrating and troubleshooting code from third-party content and E-commerce partners
• To be part of a proactive & global team responsible for continuing to deliver high quality, best practice and forward-thinking websites
• To think ‘outside the box’ – offering alternative solutions to challenging problems
• Be aware of best practice coding and new technologies
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• 5+ years experience in front-end web development
• Fluency in hand-coding HTML, CSS and a solid understanding of the DOM
• Passion for creating a great user experience through pixel-perfect, cross-browser compatible coding practices
• Strong understanding of site structure, navigation, UI principles, wireframes and user flow
• Ability to work around web programming languages (Java)
• Strong analytic and problem solving skills
• Self-motivation and excellent time-management and project-tracking skills
• Good communications skills
• Ability to work well within a team
• Willingness to learn / master new technologies as they arise
USEFUL / ADDITIONAL SKILLS
• Experience writing HTML5/CSS3
• Experience with eCommerce platforms (ATG)
• Experience with Subversion or Source Control Software
• Bachelor Degree in related field
ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES SPECIFIC TO THIS JOB
• Highly motivated and keen to learn new skills
• A systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving within required timescales
• Be able to prioritize
• Calm under pressure
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• A team player able to work alone when resolving issues
How to apply