UncommonGoods is a profitable, stable, and growing Internet and catalog retailer selling unusual and unique items for gifts and the home. We are looking for a talented, positive, innovative, ambitious Developer to expand and maintain our web site and administrative tools.
Successful candidates will feel comfortable working both independently and as a part of a creative and diverse team. You must have a positive outlook, be forward thinking, and have a willingness to learn and grow. We encourage a fun and enjoyable work experience with a healthy work-life balance – we want you to be happy and stay with us.
- BS in Computer Science or a related field (or a good reason for not having one).
- 3+ years of experience in Java-based software development.
- Experience in J2EE (Servlets, JSP, JSTL, JDBC, annotations).
- Experience with enterprise software issues (multi-threading, pooling, caching, performance tuning, etc.)
- Experience with at least 1 Java application server (we use Tomcat).
- Knowledge of Object-Oriented principles and MVC architecture.
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle.
- Experience building web sites in a team environment.
- Basic knowledge of SQL and databases (we use Oracle and MySQL).
- Experience with a version control system (SVN, CVS).
- Ability to occasionally help research, review, and configure off-the-shelf software for other departments.
- Knowledge in Java frameworks like Spring is a big plus.
- Experience in an IDE such as Eclipse.
- Intermediate or advanced knowledge of SQL and databases.
- Knowledge of common design patterns.
- Basic abilities in Linux including scripting (bash, sed, awk).
- Some knowledge of build/deploy tools (ANT, Maven, etc.)
- Some knowledge of testing tools (Dynatrace, JUnit, Selenium, JMeter, etc.)
- Experience developing for mobile devices (iPad, Kindle, iPhone, Android, etc.)
- Experience with XML and Java parsers.
- Experience in an OR mapper such as Hibernate or CPO.
- Work closely with the CTO and our friendly, outgoing technology team.
- Work with each of the company’s departments (i.e., merchandising, fulfillment, marketing, customer service, creative, accounting) to satisfy project requirements in an exciting, creative, collaborative team atmosphere. We’re big-thinking, hard-working people, but we like to have fun!
- Support to go to multiple external training classes or conferences every year.
- You won’t just work from a to-do list. It’s up to you to check the details, spot glitches and come up with new ideas.
- The nature of the work is diverse, and includes working in multiple modern software and hardware environments. If you enjoy working in an ever-changing work environment, you’ll fit in here!
- Ownership stake – your voice affects the direction of the company. We want to hear your opinions.
- Company focus is toward sustainability, with an emphasis on how we impact the world. We truly work to recycle, reduce, and reuse.
- Informal work environment, we know that dress slacks don’t make you work harder.
- Willingness to wear a lab coat (preferred but not required): http://blog.uncommongoods.com/category/gift-lab/.
Our offices are located at the Brooklyn Army Terminal in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including health and dental insurance and 401(k).
You must be authorized to work in the US.