Client Side Software Development Manager
As a global travel company, Lonely Planet’s mission is to help travellers get the most out of their journeys. It’s not just about books! We deliver content rich websites, TV and mobile products too! We value creativity, innovation and integrity. We aren’t afraid to challenge others or ourselves! If adventure is your destination…check this out!
As Client Side Software Development Manager, you’ll be responsible for managing and helping to grow a small team of Client Side developers and ensuring successful delivery on all software related projects. This is primarily a hands on coding role and requires a passionate engineer with mature business acumen and outstanding communication skills.
- Be a kick ass Client Side developer
- Always be improving our software development practises
- Provide leadership to internal and external development teams to support Lonely Planet’s business plans
- Provide direction in software development principles, processes, templates, and tools
- Develop a profile for Lonely Planet’s IT group in the wider developer ecosystem internationally and assist in attracting the best available technology talent
- Provide appropriate skills transfer to staff.
- Actively build and maintain motivation and morale through open communication and activities that foster a sense of team unity and a focus on the achievement of results
- Manage direct reports to ensure that projects and activities are effectively resourced
- Ensure direct reports receive the necessary level of guidance and support to achieve their goals, identifying opportunities for individual growth and agreeing areas for development
- Provide timely and constructive feedback on a regular and ongoing basis to direct reports as a part of leading their overall achievement and development
- Effectively communicate with colleagues in all areas and levels of the business at different levels of technical know-how
- Be involved in the recruitment of new developers.
- Demonstrated ability to be both strategic and hands-on
- Ability to work in an agile environment with rapid product innovation and iteration
- Self-starter who is highly organized, communicative, quick learner, and team oriented
- Experience managing or working with external software developers and contractors
- Ability to work on multiple tasks or projects and prioritise effectively
- Experience working in a start-up company or emerging dynamic company a plus
At Lonely Planet we:
- Support a healthy work-life balance
- Provide flexible working arrangements
- Work as a unified team across Design, Development, Product, Operations and with broader groups of talented people
- Are pretty relaxed about most things (every now and then someone even swears, you have been duly warned)
- Don’t really care what you wear (so long as you are clothed)
- Are obsessed with table tennis (not all of us)
- Are powered by fancy coffee (only the smart ones)